Laser skin resurfacing treatments are a non-surgical procedure that can help patients achieve younger-looking skin. It uses laser light energy to promote cellular rejuvenation and collagen production, which can help with:
- Smoothing fine lines and wrinkles
- Fading acne scars and blemishes
- Reducing the appearance of scars (both old and new)
- Improving skin pigmentation issues like age spots or sun spots — all without the need for surgery or anesthesia!
What are laser skin resurfacing treatments?
Laser skin treatments are a cosmetic procedure that can help patients achieve younger-looking skin. The laser uses intense pulsed light to target and destroys broken blood vessels and contract underlying collagen, helping you achieve a more youthful appearance.
What does laser treat?
Laser skin resurfacing can be used to treat the following:
- Uneven skin tone
- Improve skin tone and complexion
- Redness and rosacea
How does it work?
When you go to your consultation, your cosmetic nurse will examine your skin and determine if the laser is right for you. If it is, they’ll explain how the procedure works and what it will feel like during treatment. During your treatment, the laser device uses a pinpoint beam of light energy that targets and destroys the skin’s melanin (pigment).
How long does a laser treatment take?
It can take anywhere from 10 to 60 minutes depending on the area you are having treated. If you want to know how long your appointment will take for scheduling purposes, be sure to ask our team and they will happily let you know how long you can expect it to take.
Is it painful?
You should expect some discomfort from the laser treatment gold coast. Some find it more painful than others. There is a sensation similar to a rubber band snapping on your skin for a few seconds when the laser beam hits your skin. Although your technician will check in with you as they are doing the treatment, if at any time the pain becomes too much, be sure to let your technician know. The pain can be reduced by adjusting the intensity of the laser treatment during your visit.
What are the side effects?
Laser skin resurfacing can cause some side effects. These include:
- Redness, swelling and discomfort of the skin post-laser treatment. This usually lasts for a maximum of two weeks after treatment.
- Temporary numbness in the treated area may last up to 24 hours after each session. It will gradually go away over time as your body recovers from healing from each laser treatment session.
- Temporary pain or stinging during treatment as well as afterwards while your skin heals from the procedure (you may have an ice pack applied to help with this). Your technician may also apply an anesthetic cream before your first session if painful areas are being treated so you will feel less discomfort during your sessions and afterwards too when you’re healing up nicely!
How long before I see results?
Results are visible immediately after treatment and can last anywhere from 6 months to a year. The length of results varies by skin type.
How many treatments will I need?
It will depend on your particular skin concerns and your budget. Usually, most people have 3 to 5 treatments to achieve optimal results although, you may find after one treatment you are happy with the results and cease laser treatments altogether. Having a free initial consultation is ideal for this reason. At your consultation, your cosmetic nurse will assess the condition of your skin and your areas of concern and can give you an idea of how many treatments you can expect to need. They will come up with a treatment plan from there. You may find at the consultation other treatments are better suited or that a combination of treatments will help you achieve the best results.
Does it require anesthesia or sedation?
Laser is a non-invasive procedure that does not require anesthesia or sedation. Patients can go about their daily activities immediately following treatment and typically experience only mild to moderate redness or swelling for a few days. As mentioned, your cosmetic nurse may apply numbing cream before your treatment to ensure that you experience the least discomfort possible.
Do I need to take time off work after a skin resurfacing treatment?
You can return to work on the same day as your treatment. You may need to avoid exercise for 24 hours afterwards.
- Redness and swelling will last up to 2 weeks with most swelling fully subsiding after a week.
- Some bruising may occur, but it usually disappears within a few days after treatment.
Are there any reasons I would NOT be a candidate for this procedure?
There are some reasons you may not be a candidate for this procedure.
- You’re pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You have active skin infections or skin conditions. This can include eczema, psoriasis, and seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff).
- You have a history of keloid scarring. Keloids are scars that grow beyond the normal boundaries of the injury site and appear raised due to excess collagen production at the site of injury.
- Those with darker skin types may not be suitable for laser resurfacing treatments as they may cause pigmentation issues with the skin.
- Those with moderate to severe acne.
- People with excessively sagging skin.
How much do laser skin resurfacing treatments cost?
It depends on the areas you are treating. It is a good idea to book a free initial consultation to discuss your concerns and the best options given the specific areas you are trying to treat.
Laser skin resurfacing is a non-surgical procedure that can help patients achieve younger-looking skin
With so many people looking to improve the appearance of their skin, laser has become a popular choice. It is non-surgical and fast-acting, with no downtime and minimal side effects. If you have been considering getting this procedure done, contact the girls at Bella Donna Injectables and Skin! We offer a variety of skin-benefiting treatments and we’d love to help you achieve your best skin yet. We have two clinics, one in Burleigh Heads and the other in Murwillumbah and we are open 6 days a week for your convenience! Get in touch today.